UEFA has announced some changes in the Champions League 2020/21 which is supposed to start late. UEFA Champions League 2019/20 was stopped midway because of the COVID-19 pandemic situation in the whole world. The rest of the matches have already been rescheduled and authorities are good to go. As a result, there are some changes in the UEFA Champions League 2020/21 schedule.
The Changes in the Next Edition
The final of this season’s UEFA Champions League will take place on 23rd August, which is much later than the initial date of 28th May. The venue is shifted to The Estádio da Luz stadium in Lisbon. The final of the Champions League 2020/21 will take place in Istanbul’s famous Atatürk Olympic Stadium, which was supposed to host the 2019/20 Champions League final. The venue did spectate Liverpool‘s iconic comeback against AC Milan to win the European Cup back in 2005/06. The match was one of the greatest European Finals ever played.
Because of the delay of the schedule for the 2019-20 tournament, The fixtures for the qualifying rounds of UEFA Champions League 2020/21 has been shifted from the date of 23rd June to the 8th of August.
The Qualifying round matches will be played in the single-leg instead of traditional two-leg ties, but the original home and away format will return in the playoff rounds.
The Group Stage Main Draw will take place in Athens on 1st October and the group stage matches will begin from the 20th October.
The Krestovsky Stadium in Saint Petersburg will host the 2021/22 UEFA Champions League Edition final.
The Schedule of UEFA Champions League 2020/21
- 08/08/2020–11/08/2020- Preliminary round
- 18/08/2020–19/08/2020- First qualifying round
- 25/08/2020–26/08/2020- Second qualifying round
- 15/09/2020–16/09/2020- Third qualifying round
- 22/09/2020–30/09/2020- Play-offs
- 20/10/2020–21/10/2020- Matchday 1
- 27/10/2020–28/10/2020- Matchday 2
- 03/11/2020–04/11/2020- Matchday 3
- 24/11/2020–25/11/2020- Matchday 4
- 01/12/2020–02/12/2020- Matchday 5
- 08/12/2020–09/12/2020- Matchday 6
- 16/02/2021–17/03/2021- Round of 16 fixtures
- 06/04/2021–14/04/2021- Quarter-finals fixtures
- 27/04/2021–05/05/2021 Semi-finals fixtures
- 29/05/2021- Final
The Teams which are already qualified to the Champions League 2020/21
Real Madrid CF
FC Bayern Munich
Paris Saint German
What is your opinion on the changes which will take place in UEFA Champions League 2020/21. Let us know in the comment section below.